Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Update From Klipper Land and NHL Playoff Picks

Well I have certainly been slacking on the blog posts since the Klippers playoff run came to an end. Reason for that is I really didn't have a whole lot to blog about as not alot has transpired in Klipper nation since the Klippers were swept by Yorkton.

A few things though to mention.

- As for the coaching situation with Rockie Zinger. He has not yet been signed to a contract, and I am not exactly sure the entire scoop on this situation at the moment. What I do know is Rockie has currently been performing the day to day operations of running the Klippers and is still currently the head coach of the team. I would be shocked if he is not back as the Klippers head coach next season. That's all I can say on that situation right now, If anything transpires I will be sure to inform you.

- As for any players nailing down scholarships I have not yet heard anything from any of the players. A bit tougher to remain in the loop now that all the players have returned home. I do know that Braeden Adamyk is looking like he will play for the Kindersley Red Lions next season but no specific details on that yet.

- With the Klipper Banquet coming up shortly I am sure I will be back in the loop with all the players and be able to nail down some specific details. If you didn't know, the banquet will be held on April 30th here in Kindersley. Will have more on this a bit closer to the date.

In terms of other Klipper news, there currently is not a whole lot going on. A slow off season thus far but hey the SJHL playoffs aren't even over yet. In terms of the finals what a SJHL final it has been. I watched game 6 the other night and it was a very exciting contest. My prediction on game 7 is Yorkton will go into La Ronge and hoist the Credit Union Cup. You can catch that game of course live on access 7.

With the lack of Klipper news I might as well lay down my NHL playoff predictions. The opening round could very well be a crap shoot. The teams in both conferences are so evenly matched and it should make for an unreal opening round.

Here are my picks....


East 

Caps over Rangers In 5 - They beat Lundqvist a few years back when they simply we rent as good of a team as they are right now. This is the Capitals best chance at a Stanley Cup in their team history. Ovechkin and Backstrom will come alive early.

Sabres over Flyers In 7 - Upset in the East! I really like Buffalo in this series. Not sold on the Flyers with Bob in net, and also Prongers heath is a huge question mark. Vanek has really come alive for the Sabres who are one of the hottest teams in the league entering the post season.

Boston over Habs In 6 - Boston is to big and strong for the small Habs forwards. I really don't see the Habs being able to contain the likes of Lucic, Horton and Chara. It should be a great goalie matchup though with Thomas edging out Price this time around.

Tampa over Pittsburgh In 7 - If Crosby was healthy then we have a different story. I don't see him coming back and if he does how effective will he even be. Pens just aren't deep enough up front without Crosby and Malkin and Tampa has the offense to beat Fleury.


West

Vancouver Over Chicago In 5 - Sure the Hawks have had the Nucks number in the past but that was large in part to the big bad Buff man. The Hawks don't have the scoring depth they had a year ago and the Canucks have just an incredible top 6 on the back end now that everyone is healthy. Hamhuis, Bieska, Edler, Erhoff, Salo, Ballard is incredible and will shut the Hawks down.

San Jose Over LA In 5 - Like the Kings team if they had Kopitar, but no Kopi means no chance for the Kings. The Sharks have that scoring depth and I think they are in for a long playoff run.

Phoenix Over Detroit In 7 - This one I am just taking a wild guess basically. I am just not sold on Detroit this year around. Howard is not the goalie to lead this team and Zetterberg has some injury problems heading into the series. A reverse of what we seen last year between these two teams with the desert dogs taking down the Wings in game 7 at the Joe.

Anaheim Over Nashville In 7 - This could be the best matchup of the opening round. Great offense against great defense and goaltending. In the end I think the Ducks find a way to get it done, but I see all games being very close.

Confrence Finals

Capitals vs Bruins - Caps in 7

Canucks vs Sharks - Sharks in 6

I had originally planned on going with the Ducks and Caps in the finals, but have now switched over to San Jose. I still really like the Ducks but Hillier's health is the concern for me. Also a very tough first round opponent in Nashville could wear Selanne and Koivu out.


Stanley Cup Winner : Washington Capitals

No comments:

Post a Comment